COVID-19 Update from VDOE
On March 13, 2020, Governor Ralph Northam extended his order that all public and private K-12 schools in Virginia close in response to the continued spread of COVID-19 for the remainder of the school year. The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) has been working closely with the Governor’s Office, the Virginia Department of Health, and other state agencies to ensure our public schools and communities have the most up-to-date information and resources. The health and safety of our children and staff are our top priorities. Visit COVID-19 & Virginia Public Schools and Frequently Asked Questions for the latest information. Resources and information are being updated frequently.
As a part of the VDOE, Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports (VTSS) recognizes the unique needs of VTSS school divisions. Below are resources, grouped by category, that can help to support staff, students, community, and families. Please remember that you can reach out to your systems coach if you have specific needs or questions.
- Virtual Field Trips
- CPIR (National Parent Center TA Center)
- Audible - while schools are closed, Audible is offering free streaming of a collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help kids continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids.
- Harvard Grad. School of Education - Ways to come together as families, schools, and communities while keeping your (social) distance.
- Helping Children Cope with Changes Resulting from COVID-19
- Autism resources
- Common Sense Media
- Tips for Connecting Through Technology During COVID19
- VA Trauma-Informed Community Network
- Resources for Teaching Electronically
- Covid-19 SEL resources
- Common Sense Education
- SEL Apps
- Child Mind Institutes
- Trauma-Informed Resilient Schools - Trauma-Informed Resilient Schools is free of charge to anyone interested in the underlying traumatic roots of behavior, as well as the key components necessary to allow students to flourish. Visit Starr Commonwealth's website for more details.
- SEL Lesson Plans
- SEL Activities
- Virtual Teaching
- Leading Groups online
- Creating a PBIS Behavior Matrix for Remote Instruction
- Anita Archer: Explicit Instruction Online Series, Part 1
- Anita Archer: Explicit Instruction Online Series, Part 2
More resources are available at the VDOE Office of Student Services Monthly Updates: COVID-19 Extensive Resources
Please consider signing up to receive monthly updates from VDOE Office of Student Services.