The Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports provides professional learning, coaching, and resources to develop the knowledge and skills to facilitate systemic change at the state, division, and school levels. Please use the descriptions and links below to choose the training and find the materials to support implementation.
Tier 1 implementation of the Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports (VTSS) framework involves developing a system of core (universal) instructional practices in academics, behavior, and social-emotional well-being for ALL students that are explicit, proactive, and preventative. The materials and resources below support the implementation of Tier 1 evidence-based practices that have a likelihood of successful outcomes when implemented with fidelity.
Within the Tier 1 Resources section of the "Implementers" section of the website, you will find information on the training that will instruct on school- and division-level teams on how to develop core instructional practices to implement VTSS, along with additional, enhanced training.
The training events that are covered and contained within this section include the following:
- Tier 1 Forums - offered statewide during the summer; "New Team Training" for new divisions, with booster sessions on several topics.
- Data-Informed Decision Making - offered during the school year; for school- and division-level teams who have completed New Team Training
- Effective Classroom Systems - offered mostly during the summer, with some sessions using the school year; for school- and division-level teams who have completed Tier 1 Forum
- Defusing Disruptive Behaviors - offered during the school year; for school- and division-level teams who have completed Tier 1 Forum
Advanced Tiers Resources
The Advanced Tiers section provides links and information to support a focus on the data, systems, and processes of installing and implementing Advance Tiers. The items covered within this section include"
- Advanced Tiers Forums - offered during the summer; for school- and division-level teams who have completed Tier 1 Forum
- Advanced Tiers Webinars - This page contains information about past and upcoming Community of Practice webinars pertaining to Advanced Tiers.
The Divisions section includes links to training more specific to division-level teams. These events include:
- From Starting to Sustaining - offered during the school year in three one-day sessions, two-to-three months apart. Sessions are broken down into several specific strands, depending on interest and location.
- Systems Coaching Institute - offered during the school year. Two levels of Systems Coaching Institutes assist school- or division-level teams of individuals in developing coaching skills or facilitation capacity to address local school training and implementation. Note: Since this training is critical to the success of implementation, links to the levels of training and materials are linked within both the "Division" and "Coaches" sections under "Implementers."
Also included under the "Divisions" header are links to the Data Collection section and to a Statewide Events Calendar that lists all proposed statewide training events for the upcoming school year.
Under the Coaches heading, you will find, again. a link to the "Systems Coaching Institute" page, as well as a link to the Community of Practice listing of webinars for the Coaches Network. This page includes not only links and resources for upcoming webinars, but also for those conducted during previous school years.
The Schools section includes links to resources by the level of education. Currently, the section includes resources for high schools, including a page of materials and outside resources, and a page containing information about past and upcoming Community of Practice webinars pertaining to High School issues.
The Administrators section is a section to provide resources for school administrators for all school levels. Currently, the section is a page containing information about past and upcoming Community of Practice webinars pertaining to Administrators.
Resources on the National Context and Conversation @ Tiers of Support
- SISEP - District Capacity Assessment
- Center on Response to Intervention at the American Institutes of Research (AIR)
- Response to Intervention Network
- Positive Behavioral Interventions & Support
- Advancing Education Effectiveness: Interconnecting School Mental Health and School-wide Positive Behavior Support