Advanced Tiers Forum
The Advanced Tiers Forum is a compilation of virtual learning opportunities designed for division and school teams to increase their knowledge and capacity to build and sustain a system of advanced tiers supports.
Advanced Tiers Forum - July 13-15, 2021
The daily schedule for the three-day forum is as follows:
|9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||General Session for “Building a Sustainable Advanced Tiers System”|
|10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.||Break|
|10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.||
Participants will increase understanding of essential features of an advanced tiers system including:
- teaming and meeting structures
- decision rules for an effective continuum of supports
- data-informed decision making using universal screening and other data to identify at-risk students who could benefit from advanced tier supports
- progress monitoring measures for students receiving intervention
- evaluation, including the level of use, student performance, fidelity, and alignment measures
- professional learning and coaching plans to support an effective advanced tiers system
Who Should Attend?
The Advanced Tiers Forum welcomes teams from divisions and schools seeking to promote efficient and effective systems for Advanced Tiers. Division leaders, advanced tier school team members (such as behavior, academic and SEL specialists), school counselors, and general/special education teachers are encouraged to attend together. Division coordinators should discuss advanced tiers readiness and school team participation with their VTSS systems coach prior to school personnel registering for this event.
General Sessions (9:00 -10:15 each day)
Advanced Tiers general sessions for all registrants will be offered at the start of each day. These engaging and interactive virtual learning opportunities contain essential knowledge for implementing advanced ties in any domain, whether academic, behavior or social-emotional learning.
July 13 General Session: “Introduction to Advanced Tiers: Building a System that Lasts”
- Participants will increase understanding of the essential elements of an advanced tier system and a process for establishing and documenting decision rules for an effective continuum of interventions and supports.
July 14 General Session: “Advanced Tiers Student Identification and Progress Monitoring”
- Participants will increase understanding of universal screening and other data to identify at-risk students who could benefit from advanced tier supports, effective progress monitoring measures for students receiving intervention, and collaborative problem-solving with families as partners.
July 15 General Session: “Advanced Tiers Evaluation and Alignment” Participants will increase understanding of effective meeting structures to analyze and evaluate level of intervention use, student performance, fidelity data, and advanced tiers alignment.
Implementation Strand Choices (10:30 -11:45 each day)
Advanced Tier Forum attendees are encouraged to discuss implementation strand participation with their VTSS systems coach and/or division coordinator to maximize alignment with implementation goals for the upcoming school year.
Strand 1 (recommended for teams new to advanced tiers)
Installing Check-in and Check-out to Build a Tier II System of Support
Using the Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) as an anchor, teams will learn the components of “Check-in, Check-Out, upon which they can build an advanced tier system of supports.
July 13 (TFI 2.5 - 2.8): “Check-in, Check-Out” intervention overview
July 14 (TFI 2.3-2.4; 2.9): Screening, progress monitoring, family collaboration. professional learning and coaching
July 15: (TFI 2.1-2.2; 2.10-2.13) Evaluation and alignment
Strand 2: Shifting to an Academic Lens
Using the Academic Tiered Fidelity Inventory (ATFI) as an anchor, teams will apply understanding of essential elements of a sustainable advanced tiers system for academics. Elements of Social Emotional Learning will be embedded in building a sustainable process for intervention.
Daily Session Descriptions:
July 13 (ATFI Tier 1 Overview, ATFI 2.1 - 2.4): Overview of the ATFI, teaming structures, and accessing advanced tiers
July 14 (ATFI 2.5 - 2.8): Setting up and sustaining an intervention system, including resources, alignment, selection of practices, and progress monitoring
July 15: (ATFI 2.9 - 2.13): Professional learning, level of use, progress monitoring, and fidelity evaluation
Advanced Tiers Hot Topics (2:00-3:00 each day):
July 13: Advanced Tiers and Mental Wellness
- “Crisis versus Concern”
July 14: Advanced Tiers and Mental Wellness
- “Screen to Intervene”
July 15: Advanced Tiers and Attendance
- “Best Practices for Improving Attendance”
Student attendance has been and remains a focus for school divisions and educators. This session will discuss ways to improve attendance within the Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports.
Materials and Zoom Links
Zoom links and materials coming soon!
How to Prepare for the Virtual Training:
- Teams are expected to attend all sessions.
- Make sure most of your team members can attend virtually. You will be in a live Zoom meeting that is participatory; you will engage in team activities.
- Make sure each member has access to the Zoom platform and feels comfortable using the technology.
- Check your email for reminders, communication, and your Zoom link to attend your virtual session.
Advanced Tiers Forum materials coming soon!