Defusing Disruptive Behaviors
Defusing Disruptive Behavior is a 3-day, interactive, professional learning event that will take a deeper dive into understanding problem behaviors as well as learning how to address these behaviors more effectively in the classroom. Anchored to the behavior flowchart, this training will provide information on preventative strategies, as well as explain several evidence-based strategies that can be used to address problem behaviors in the classroom. Strategies will be aligned with the phases of the escalation cycle.
- Participants will understand the importance of relationships and reflect on strategies to build, maintain and repair relationships.
- Participants will be able to identify functions of behavior and understand the importance of function-based interventions.
- Participants will be able to analyze setting events, including trauma, culture, and personal history, and how they contribute to behavior escalation
- Participants will increase their awareness of behavior patterns and chains
- Participants will understand the phases of the escalation cycle, as well as their role in responding.
- Participants will explore evidence-based interventions to apply throughout the escalation cycle.
Intended Audience: teachers, administrators, individuals at the division and school level who support classroom management and student behavior.
Please make sure you have the latest version of Zoom before attending the virtual session.
Note: Documents on this page are WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliant, with a few exceptions. When structure or content makes compliance difficult, we offer an additional, less robust version. Any document marked with an asterisk is visual in nature and cannot be converted to an accessibility-compliant layout. For assistance in using these documents, please contact your VTSS System Coach(es) or the webmaster.