Strand 4: Equity in Tiered Systems of Support
In this strand, division leaders will focus on investigating and analyzing equity challenges within their current systems to identify and implement actionable steps. Participants will engage with content and tools to identify systems and practices that address their selected equity challenge. Through the completion of the three sessions, leadership teams will identify action steps to eliminate the predictability of student outcomes based on race, gender, zip code, ability, socioeconomic status, or languages spoken at home and begin implementation of their equity plan.
Intended Audience: Participants should include DLT and any division level employees/teams who are leading equity efforts within the division
- Investigate and analyze equity challenges in current systems.
- Examine the VDOE definition of educational equity and the Equity 5 C’s.
- Identify disproportionality in division data.
- Build an understanding of how individual experiences and biases impact decision-making.
Session B of Strand 4 will follow-up on learning from Session A. Participants will develop a plan for implementation based on the equity challenge they have identified.
Intended Audience: Participants should include members of the DLT who attended Session A and any division level employees/teams who are leading equity efforts within the division.
- Examine connections between VDOE Equity 5C’s and VTSS implementation
- Continue building an understanding of how individual and collective experiences and biases impact decision-making.
- Build consensus around the division’s equity challenge
- Identify potential strategies and tools to explore the initial understanding of the equity challenge and refine the areas of need as necessary.