Tier 1 Forum
VTSS is offering Virtual Tier 1 Forum using Zoom! Each team will decide upon one of the virtual options below. The New Team Training (PBIS) will be presented at each training opportunity; the Academic TFI professional learning will be presented during the same session in July. Please note that Tier 1 Enhancement Equity and Trauma Sessions will not be offered in this summer's trainings; however, more opportunities for professional learning on those topics may arise later in the year. The Academic TFI professional learning will be offered at the second session in July.
All virtual learning will cover essential content delivered by a VTSS Systems Coach. Activities will be provided to prepare your school team for the work, and a coach will be right there with you to answer any questions and provide virtual coaching.
New Team Training (PBIS)
Research shows that starting this work with a lens on behavior allows teachers and administrators to spend less time on discipline. At this professional learning, your team will begin building your behavior curriculum and more. It is important that all school team members participate in all three days.
- Recognize the essential components of VTSS
- Understand the VTSS Implementation Logic model as a way of work
- Understand the Tiered System of Supports as a framework for providing equitable, high
- quality instruction and interventions to students
This two-day event is designed for those school teams and division support personnel who have already attended the Tier 1 professional learning for new teams, have had experience implementing Tier 1 behavior practices, and believe that trauma-sensitive schools are a priority. Using a function-based lens for implementation, participants of this workshop will recognize how a school may incorporate trauma-sensitive practices at the Tier 1 level in data-informed decision making, professional learning, family and community engagement, routines, and procedures as well as feedback and acknowledgment.
- Support teams in the implementation of trauma-sensitive schools
- Align trauma-sensitive practices into a multi-tiered system of support
- Build foundational knowledge of the impact of trauma on staff, students, family
- Recognize the impact of trauma in the classroom and how it affects learning, relationships, and behavior
- Understand that the need to create or maintain working environments that support the social-emotional well-being of school staff
- Learn the importance of relationships in building resilience to mitigate the effects of adverse childhood experiences
The Academic TFI will be used to assist teams with implementing a Tier I system of academic support. This summer professional learning and ongoing Community of Practice will help schools improve student outcomes, align initiatives within the school, and support the learning of all students. The Academic Tiered Fidelity Inventory (ATFI) Community of Practice, scheduled for the fall of 2020, begins with an introduction to the academic modules presented in the Academic TFI summer professional learning. Summer professional development will allow teams time to plan for academic implementation and to interact with others. Expect to focus on:
- How academic teams use data for decision-making
- Ways to plan and deliver instruction, increase teacher clarity, and involve students in their learning
- How to promote collective teacher efficacy
- How communicating and coaching facilitate building community with staff and families and assist in the fidelity of implementation.